October is nationally known for National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. While professionals and organizations work to educate and end domestic violence on a daily and monthly basis, October is a month set aside to educate, acknowledge and bring awareness to the public.
The topic of domestic violence is very sensitive. Our goal is to educate and provide information on organizations you can get involved in, if you would like to help. These local and national organizations do hard work and such important work, in helping victims and survivors of abuse.
WHAT IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?
Domestic violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another. It includes physical violence, sexual violence, threats, economic, and emotional/psychological abuse. The frequency and severity of domestic violence varies dramatically. (National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV)
- 39.6% of Tennessee women and 36.8% of Tennessee men experience intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner rape and/or intimate partner stalking in their lifetimes.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men in the United States have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner
- On a single day in 2020, domestic violence hotlines received 21,321 calls, an average of almost 15 calls every minute.
- Tennessee law enforcement responded to 69,385 reports of domestic violence in 2020. Many other incidents went unreported.
Services available in Middle Tennessee:
Know you are not alone. Nashville-Davidson County has various resources available in the area. Please see below for services that can assist you in gaining more information, support, and other resources.
LOCAL SHELTERS AND GENERAL RESOURCE HOTLINES:
- YWCA Nashville & Middle TN
- Morning Star Sanctuary
LAW ENFORCEMENT AND LEGAL/COURT ASSISTANCE:
- Domestic Violence Division of Metro Nashville Police Department
- Jean Crowe Advocacy Center
- Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands
TRANSITIONAL HOUSING AND SUPPORT SERVICES:
- The Mary Parrish Center for Victims of Domestic & Sexual Violence
COUNSELING AND SUPPORT GROUPS:
- YWCA of Nashville and Middle TN
- Sexual Assault Center
- Domestic Violence Division of MNPD
IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO’S BEEN ABUSED:
Knowing what to do can be more difficult than you might expect. Here are some helpful tips and information courtesy of the National Domestic Violence Hotline.
You can get involved with local organizations by volunteering or donating monthly. Please visit these organizations below to learn more.
Nashville Coalition Against Domestic Violence
TN Coalition to End Domestic & Sexual Violence